Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Preparing for the Cold

Yesterday I nearly froze to death as my house was about 50 degrees. Fall is here...and winter is coming. Every year between my early onset arthritis, constant typing (like now), writing, and the ability to go through pairs of gloves like toilet paper (I have long fingers and they always just stick straight through, o.k.?) my normally olive colored hands become achy, my nails brittle, and my cuticles a dry, cracked mess. So during winter break, the paraffin wax bath is always on. This year however, I am prepared. Each year I tend to find a lovely product by the middle of the winter that helps solve another problem (freshman year-cuticles, junior year- callouses, and so on). After some additional shopping this summer, I have successfully stocked my usual carry-all's with some lovely products to keep my hands in tip top shape all winter. Check them out, some are pretty nifty.
Best Manicure Substitute: I keep this hand cream in my school bag always. Senior year is killer and I have no time to wait for my paraffin bath to melt all that wax. So, I slather a dollop of this on my hands and get the same result. True Blue Spa Look Ma, New Hands! Softening Hand Lotion with Paraffin-$12 at Bath & Body Works.
Best Quick Fix: This is a cure all and a party clutch staple. Put it on your cuticles for a quick fix when you loose your mittens. Aside from that, this product also serves as a lip balm, a highlighter for your eyelids, cheek and collar bones, and works great to keep down flyaways. Oh yeah and it works wonders for ashy elbows and knees. Smith's Rosebud Salve- $6 at Sephora.
Best Long-term Fix: I was introduced to this gem freshman year just as my hands were starting to crack (no pun intended!) from all the typing and writing I did in my drafty bedroom at 4 in the morning. (I am too wired for homework at night.) My cuticles were a white and flaky mess until then. dab it on for a great long term fix as wax works to seal in moisture unlike petroleum products that simply add it. Burt's Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Creme- $5.99 at drugstore.com
Best Eco Friendly Delight: This product can be used on just about anything. In fact, I am trying it out on a different body part each day and the results are soft, soft, and softer. This product not only moisturizes but it also keeps moisture in to keep your hands from drying out again by the end of the day. Plus it smells amazing and is very eco friendly! Lemony Flutter Cuticle Butter- $13.25 at Lush.
Best All Around Product: When you first put this product on it feels like you are rubbing essential oils on your hands. After a second, it feels like you have perfectly soft, youthful and not at all greasy hands! It moisturizes and leaves your hands feeling soft for the longest time. Plus it protects your hands from the winter sun which, when reflected off snow, can be pretty intense. This product delivers, period. Kiehl's Unusually Rich but Not Greasy At All-Hand Cream with SPF 10- $15.50 at Kiehl's.


No comments:

Post a Comment